2023 edition of LIA’s Accessibility Camp. Program and details
The Accessibility Camp by Fondazione LIA is a highly interactive one-day event that connects book publishing professionals with national and international experts to share knowledge, insights, and good practice on accessible digital publishing, aiming to establish relationships that will lead to the design and implementation of innovative and shared projects and to provide solutions for people with visual impairments.
To explore in detail the role played by accessibility in every stage of the life of a digital publication, the Camp includes several working groups to give the participants the opportunity to discuss specific aspects of the topic.
The Accessibility Camp gets international
For the first time, Fondazione LIA organizes the Camp in an international context!
The event is organised in the framework of Aldus UP, the European Book Fairs network promoting the internationalization of the book sector and the innovation of book fairs format, and it will take place in the context of Readmagine, the Madrid conference focused on digital innovation in the world of books and organized annually by the Germán Sánchez Ruipérez Foundation (FGSR) inside their headquarters in the Spanish capital: Casa del Lector.
This year Readmagine will be held from 7 to 9 June and it will dedicate its last day to two thematic events: The Next Gen Book by Canon on the theme of sustainability in the publishing sector, and the Accessibility Camp. The accessibility issue will also be addressed in some Readmagine’s meeting in the previous days. The program can be consulted on the event website.
If you would like to participate in the event, please fill out the form on Eventbrite. The spots available are limited.
9.00 – 9.30: Welcome coffee
Greetings and introduction
Elisa Molinari, Project manager Fondazione LIA
Accessible reading experience
Antonino Cotroneo, Assistive Technology Expert Fondazione LIA
Mirror mirror on the wall: what’s going to happen in the accessibility world?
Keynote speech by Cristina Mussinelli, Secretary General Fondazione LIA
10.45 – 11.00: Coffee break
European publishers and the roadmap towards accessibility
Round table: which are the most interesting initiatives at EU level?
- Gautier Chomel, Project manager EDRLab
- Emmanuel Christien, Publishing Head of children and youth Grupo Anaya
- Kristina Kramer, Deputy Director for European and International Affairs Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels
- Stacy Scott, Head of Accessibility Taylor & Francis
- Moderator: Gregorio Pellegrino, Chief Accessibility Officer Fondazione LIA
Towards an accessible digital publishing ecosystem
Round table: which is the role each player of the value chain has to play?
- Arantza Larrauri, General Director Libranda De Marque
- Silvia Clemares, Senior Country Manager, Content, Spain, Portugal, and Latin America at Rakuten Kobo
- Ted van der Togt, researcher at the KB National Library of the Netherlands
- Moderator: Luis Gonzalez, Director FGSR
Working groups kick off
13.00 – 14.30: Lunch
- How to kick-start your accessibility roadmap: publishers’ needs, skills, gaps
- How to assure the quality of your production and distribution flows: QA, tools, display of accessibility metadata
- What’s the cost of accessibility? Investments, disproportionate burden, backlist conversion
16.45: Ask the expert and Wrap-up
The Accessibility Camp is organized by Fondazione LIA, in collaboration with Libranda and FGSR and in the framework of Aldus UP (co-funded by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union).